10/12/2010

Knicks Notebook: Azubuike on the Road to Recovery


Kelenna Azubuike has yet to practice with the New York Knicks as he continues rehabbing from patella tendon surgery, but he says there's still a good chance he'll be ready for the regular season.

"I should be," he said. "I'm probably a couple weeks away now."

Azubuike, who was acquired from the Golden State Warriors over the summer, underwent the knee surgery last November. He played only nine games last season.

"It's an injury you have to be patient with and really make sure you're all the way back," he said.

A typical day for Azubuike includes several squats and lunges to strengthen the muscles around his knee. He recently began running again.

"Did you see me running out there?" said Azubuike, a fifth-year shooting guard, after the Knicks' open practice on Sunday. "I'm getting a lot better, but we'll see when I'm fully ready. But I feel good."

Azubuike traveled with the Knicks to Europe for their first two preseason games so he could continue rehabbing with the team's training staff. Although he was anxious to get back on the court, he understands that the end is near. The Knicks open the season on Oct. 27.

"You want to be out there so bad," Azubuike said. "You realize you really love something when you can't play it for a year or whatever. I wish I could be out there, but it's sooner than later now."

Article HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment