2/08/2011

Warkentien: The New Consigliere In The Knicks Family


The Knicks have hired Mark Warkentien as the new Consigliere in the Knicks Family: job one, get Carmelo.

  Warkentien recently conducted a phone interview with Ian O'Conner and talked about his role in the organization and team plans.

via ESPN.com


People around the New York Knicks say Jim Dolan, not Donnie Walsh, was the man who added Mark Warkentien to a front office as packed as Penn Station at rush hour, and over the phone Monday the team's newest executive preferred to keep that issue up in the air, a bit like a jump ball.


"I have no idea, other than I dealt with Donnie," Warkentien said. "I wouldn't know how much he had to deal with Jim or not on it. That's a conversation above my pay grade."

"You get to work for a guy you always wanted to work with in Donnie Walsh, and then it's Madison Square Garden," Warkentien said. "I'm 57, and is there anyone in our age group who doesn't want to be a part of the Garden? It's the mecca, and it's New York. It's like, 'Wow.'"

"I can't talk about anything related to our roster," Warkentien said over the phone. "That's a conversation for Donnie."

"Donnie and I have been talking about working together in New York for a long time," he said before scouting Monday night's Missouri-Kansas game for the Knicks. "It's not like this was a new conversation. Donnie flew me into New York right around Labor Day, I spent two days there, we talked at great length about it, and it's been gathering momentum since then. Thank goodness it got done.

"If Donnie's the godfather, and he is, I'm a mere consigliere. But I think Donnie and I have real synergy. I have my finger on the pulse of the west big time, and his roots are all eastern."

Read the entire article HERE


0 comments:

Post a Comment