9/23/2010

NBA on ESPN’s RV Hits NY

via :slammagazine

ESPN's NBA RV was is Queens and Slam Magazine caught up with Amare & Jeff Van Gundy...

SLAM: So what brought you here today?
Jeff Van Gundy: Well, we’re doing the ESPN commercial that we do every year. Never been to this part of Queens, I don’t believe, so it’s good.
SLAM: We know you from coaching, and now broadcasting, but how do you like the acting?
JVG: As long as I keep it to one word or less, I’m alright. You gotta know who you are as player, and you have to know who you are as an actor. And I’m not much of an actor.
SLAM: No acting aspirations?
JVG: [Laughs.] No, no.
SLAM: Who’s the funniest ESPN personality you’ve worked with?
JVG: The funniest ESPN personality? [Pauses.] Mark Jackson has a sly, sarcastic way that’s funny—but the people around him, unless you know him, don’t even know he’s trying to be funny.

SLAM: The whole world found out you were exploring your Jewish roots this summer, so I guess I gotta wish you a happy new year.
Amar’e Stoudemire: [Laughs.] Thanks, man.
SLAM: Tell me about your trip to Israel.
AS: It was a great trip. Obviously it was a historic adventure for me. It was a beautiful turnout.
SLAM: Is it difficult to maintain religion during the NBA season?
AS: That’s something that I try to keep discrete, so I wouldn’t really wanna talk more about it.
SLAM: OK, well we know all about your basketball skills. What are your acting skills like?
AS: My acting skills are being worked on. Had a couple opportunities in some movies, so still looking to upgrade my acting skills a little bit.
SLAM: Any inspirations?
AS: Oh man, I got a lot of actors I look up to, as far as their craft and what they do. Will Smith is my favorite actor out right now. Johnny Depp is probably my second. I love Denzel’s movies. There’s my top three.
SLAM: You settle down in New York City yet?
AS: Not quite, I haven’t found a place in New York City yet. I’m still looking.
SLAM: How do you like hanging out in the city?
AS: Oh, it’s great, man. Best city in the world. It was fashion week last week. There’s so much entertainment here, it’s crazy. Best city in the world. I don’t understand why players wouldn’t wanna come here.
SLAM: How big of a factor was linking back up with Coach D’Antoni in your decision?
AS: That actually helped my decision in signing with the Knicks, because I’m familiar with his coaching style. I had great success playing with him back in Phoenix, so it’s a great chance for us to reunite and try to have that same success.
SLAM: The big complaint the past few years in New York has been the team’s defense. Many think there’s an indifference toward defense; you gonna help change that mentality?
AS: I just think the personnel the past few years was what’s been holding the Knicks back. I think now we’ve got great personnel [and] we have great character in our players, so we’re definitely gonna have a better year.
SLAM: You guys gonna be able to put up points like back in the Phoenix days?
AS: That’s what Mike D’Antoni does best. He’s great [on offense], so it’s gonna help the team.
SLAM: So I should draft you in the first round of my fantasy basketball league?amare-in-rv-12
AS: [Laughs.] That’s not a bad idea.
SLAM: What have you been focusing on this summer, specifically, as far as your game goes?
AS: Oh man, everything. I’ve been focusing on my perimeter game, actually, for the most part.
SLAM: Previously [for the Knicks], David Lee would often come off the pick and roll and pop the mid-range jumper. Will you be able to do that similarly?
AS: Yeah. I’ve been shooting mid-range jumpers now for the past five years, so now I’m trying to expand from the mid-range to the long-range.
SLAM: OK, tell me something about Amar’e Stoudemire that nobody knows.
AS: Something about me nobody knows… [drifts into Madden team selection]
SLAM: Who’s your favorite team to play with in Madden?
Amar’e’s manager: Whoever he’s about to lose with right now.
AS: I like playing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
SLAM: Yeah?
AS: That’s my favorite team.
SLAM: Cool. So you’ve got New York on your back right now. Any pressure?
AS: There’s no pressure, man. It’s all about playing your hardest, dedicating yourself to the game of basketball. That’s what it’s about. That’s what the goal is.

Read the entire article HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment